Connect with us

Gossip

New naira: Rich Nigerians deposit bales of naira in banks

Published

on

Days after the Central Bank of Nigeria announced the redesign of the N1,000, N500 and N200 notes, with a directive that the current notes be remitted to the commercial banks, wealthy individuals and organisations with huge cash stashed away have begun depositing them, Saturday PUNCH can report.

Our correspondents gathered from sources and workers in the operations department of many commercial banks that even though there has yet to be any rush by customers, there was a gradual increase in the volume of cash and amounts being remitted by customers.

The Governor of the CBN, Mr Godwin Emefiele, while announcing the issuance of the new naira notes on October 26, said bank customers should start paying their current notes to enable them to withdraw the new bank notes once circulation begins on December 15, 2022.

Emefiele said the apex bank had become concerned over some daunting challenges in the management of the existing banknotes in circulation, especially those outside the banking system, noting that such portend some consequences for the integrity of the CBN and the country.

Among the challenges that informed the decision, he lamented the “significant hoarding” of the banknotes in which case N2.73tn out of the N3.23tn currency in circulation as of September 2022 was outside the vaults of the commercial banks across the country. He also cited the worsening shortage of clean and fit banknotes; increasing ease and risk of counterfeiting evidenced by several security reports and compliance with global standard to circulate new legal tender every five to eight years.

He noted further that the naira redesign would help to rein in the currency outside the banking system and make its monetary policies more efficacious, deepen its cashless economy drive and minimise incidents of terrorism and kidnapping as the access to large sums used for ransom payment.

He noted, “On the basis of these trends, problems, and facts set out above, and in line with provisions of Sections 2(b), section 18(a) , and section 19, Subsections a and b of the CBN Act 2007, the Management of the CBN has sought and obtained the approval of President Muhammadu Buhari to redesign, produce, release and circulate new series of banknotes at N200, N500, and N1,000 levels.

“In line with this approval, we have finalised arrangements for the new currency to begin circulation from December 15, 2022 after its launch by President Muhammadu Buhari. The new and existing currencies shall remain legal tender and circulate together until January 31, 2023 when the existing currencies shall cease to be legal tender.”

Huge cash deposits

Meanwhile, our correspondents’ interactions with many bank staff indicated that individuals have begun depositing huge cash sums stashed away with the commercial banks.

A top banker with one of the first generation banks, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said there was a gradual increase in the sums of money being deposited by some customers. “We have seen an increase in the amount being brought to some of our branches by some customers,” the source said.

When asked the highest amount an individual had remitted so far, the source, who heads a branch of the bank in Oshodi, Lagos, said, “The amounts vary, but we have seen people bring between N5m and N20m cash. It’s only rich customers that can have huge sums stashed away. The poor live on daily income and can hardly have enough to save.”

He said it was easy to identify the money stashed away for a long time because of the smell, the dates on them and other elements she refused to disclose. “There are ways to identify them but I don’t want to go into that because the focus of the CBN policy is to rein in the volume of cash in circulation. The regulators would deal with the rest.”

The branch manager of another first generation bank in Ikoyi area of Lagos confirmed to Saturday PUNCH that there was already a rise in the amount of cash being deposited by some customers.

She said, “The normal deposit by average income earners and businesses continues, but some customers have been coming with huge sums to deposit. We have seen some persons bring N2m cash and there have been higher and lesser amounts respectively from some other branches.”

Meanwhile, a senior staff at the headquarters of another first generation bank noted that feedback from some of their branches showed that some customers brought in billions, some in millions and some in hundreds of thousands.

The source said, “When the redesign of the naira was announced, the CBN asked all the banks to report the amount in their vault per day so they could monitor the remittances across board. The way it works is that branches route that information through their respective zones and the zones supply the information to the headquarters.

“We have to protect the customers, even if you suspect the possible source of such funds. The information from some of our branches indicate that in the last few days, specifically since October 26 when the CBN made the announcement, there have been individuals who brought in billions while some came to deposit millions.

“From what the CBN governor said in his briefing, he said about 85 per cent of the cash in circulation was outside the bank vaults and that alone is over N2tn, which shows that we might even see more billions being brought to the banks for remittance in the coming days.”

“But I can tell you that across all the financial institutions, there has been a surge in deposits. It’s not natural; the naira redesign and the fact that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has been going after some people has made it so. How come we have over N2tn in people’s hands?

“I have had interactions with some of my colleagues in other banks and they confirmed that it’s the same in their banks. The deposit has been in billions. It might come as a surprise to many, but it’s the reality. I came across a report that some states are considering paying salaries in cash, because they have stashed away huge cash and they need to expend it.”

Similarly, a senior management staff member of another commercial bank, told Saturday PUNCH that the huge cash deposits being witnessed justified the concerns expressed by the CBN in its October 26 briefing.

The source said, “The CBN said about N2.73tn is outside the banking sector, no economy in the world can survive such a percentage of its money in circulation being outside the bank vaults. That policy must have been well thought out, because people are already making huge deposits.

“I can’t tell you how much has been deposited so far, because there is a reporting line the CBN gave to know how much is coming in, but people have been coming to make deposits. If you look at the amount so far paid as ransom, you would imagine the volume of cash in circulation and then people keep a lot of money in the bush and other places.

“I sense that people who kept money would have issues bringing them in now because it raises suspicion and don’t forget that banks are under obligation to alert the anti-graft agencies like the EFCC, and the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit, in accordance with the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act.”

The source revealed that the heads of Corporate Communications Departments had an interaction with the CBN three days ago to make sure that they work in sync with the CBN to make sure the exercise was hitch-free.

Across other banks where our correspondents interacted with senior staff, they affirmed that there was noticeable increase in the volume and amount of cash being brought for deposit.
Related News

CBN naira redesign political, says Obaseki
Naira redesign: EFCC seeks Banks, BDC operators’ support
PUNCH Panorama: Timeliness, appropriateness of Naira notes redesign

Saturday banking begins

Meanwhile, the CBN has written to the banks on how to implement the naira redesign policy. The memo was titled ‘Re: Implementation of naira redesign policy’.

In a memo signed by the Director of Banking Supervision, Haruna B. Mustapha, with Reference Number BSD/DIR/CON/LAB/015/064, dated October 31, 2022, the apex bank said banks’ currency processing centres “shall remain open from Monday to Saturday to accommodate all cash that will be deposited by customers.”

‘Don’t split deposits’

The apex bank in the memo said in furtherance of the Emergency Bankers’ Committee meeting on October 28, 2022 and as part of arrangements to ensure the seamless implementation of the new currency redesign policy, it decided that under no circumstance should large deposits be split into different accounts. It also warned that no cash deposit by any customer should be rejected provided such deposits were lodged into an account with a BVN.

It added, “All deposits by new or walk-in customers should be accepted by banks subject to compliance with the requisite account opening documentation and KYC requirements. No deposit should be boxed and or credited to any suspense account, general ledger or any other internal account of a bank.

“Splitting of deposits is not permitted under any circumstance. All unusually large deposits should be paid into customers’ accounts with BVNs as a bulk amount.”

It also charged banks to ensure full compliance with extant Anti-Money Laundering/Combating the Financing of Terrorism regulations on reporting of currency and suspicious transactions. It stressed that banks should ensure that customers were promptly attended to and well treated to avoid delays and long queues or congestion in banking halls.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Gossip

Man, 21, to spend four years in prison for stealing Infinix phones

Published

on

An Ekiti State Chief Magistrate Court sitting in Ado Ekiti has sentenced 21-year-old Owolabi Olamide to four years imprisonment with hard labour, after he was found guilty of a five-count charge that included a break-in, stealing and escape from police custody.

The convict was arraigned before Magistrate Michael Faola on five counts of criminal charges bordering on causing a breach of peace by jumping over the fence of one Otutu Ifeanyi, unlawfully breaking into his shop, stealing items worth millions of naira, escaping from Police custody while detained for enquiry, among others.

The offences contravened and are punishable under sections 181,322,363, and 120(a) of the Criminal Law, No 12 vol.1, Laws of Ekiti State Nigeria, 2021.

The charges were read, explained and interpreted to the defendant, to which he pleaded guilty.

The complainant Otutu Ifeanyi was led in evidence by the prosecutor, Inspector Bankole Olasunkanmi. He tendered cartons of power banks, recovered Infinix phones, cartons of phones and other valuables as exhibits.

The defendant did not object to all exhibits tendered and confessed to having committed the offences as charged.

Delivering his judgment, Magistrate Michael Faola sentenced the defendant to three years imprisonment on count two (jumping over the fence) and one-year imprisonment on count five (escape from Police custody) with hard labour. Sentences are to run consecutively.

The judge ordered that all items recovered from the defendant, currently in police custody, should be released forthwith to the complainant.

Continue Reading

Gossip

2023: APC debunks rumours of planned move of Nigeria’s capital to Lagos by Tinubu

Published

on

The All Progressives Congress Presidential Campaign Council has described as false, a statement making the rounds on social media that Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the party’s presidential candidate, harbours plans to relocate the Federal Capital from Abuja to Lagos on succeeding President Muhammad Buhari.

It said Tinubu never contemplated such plans and would never do so as it goes contrary to the country’s constitution.

This was disclosed on Tuesday in a statement issued and signed by Bayo Onanuga, the Director, Media and Publicity APC Presidential Campaign Council.

The statement pointed fingers at the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, and the Labour Party, for Championing the misinformation campaign against its candidate, saying some field reports had proved so.

Part of the statement read: “The All Progressives Congress Presidential Campaign Council hereby alerts Nigerians about the latest insidious campaign in some parts of the country against our candidate, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

“In one of the falsehoods being circulated, especially in the North West of the country, Tinubu is said to harbour plans to relocate the Federal Capital from Abuja to Lagos on succeeding President Muhammad Buhari from 29th May, 2023.

“This misinformation campaign, according to field reports, is being given some traction by some elders on the payroll of the Peoples Democratic Party.

“Let us say with emphasis, that Asiwaju does not contemplate any such plan and will not do anything that is so ultra-unconstitutional.”

It further lamented that some purveyors of fake news had also distorted facts about the recent commercialization of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited.

It clarified that President Buhari had instead made it a commercial entity in line with the Petroleum Industry Act.

Continue Reading

Gossip

Fuel scarcity: Remove subsidy, heavens won’t fall – Former NNPC GM tells FG.

Published

on

The former General Manager of Corporate Planning and Business Development at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Babajide Soyode, has urged the Federal Government to halt the fuel subsidy payment regime to end the persistent scarcity of the product.

Soyode made this disclosure on Tuesday in an AriveTV interview monitored by us.

He decried the outrageous cost of diesel in Nigeria compared with the price in neighboring countries such as Ghana.

According to him, Nigerians are paying the highest cost of diesel in Africa.

“We spend subsidies to maintain the elite of this country; that is all we are doing. Even the elites no longer get it, but some people are taking it to squander in Dubai. I am saying, remove subsidy today heavens will not come down.

“All these things they are talking about are not true; diesel in Ghana is N549; do they have subsidies for diesel? Why are they paying N549, and we are paying N786? We are importing the product from the same market. I am not blaming IPMAN or NNPC if the government has screwed up the market by maintaining subsidies. You can quote me; the fuel scarcity situation will continue after December”, he stated.

Nigerians continue to grapple with the attendant implications as fuel queues resurfaced in Abuja, Lagos, Cross River, Akwa Ibom, and other major cities.

Continue Reading

Most Popular