Connect with us

News

Corruption: I won’t resign – Buhari replies PDP

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has reacted to a call by the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, that he should resign.

PDP’s National Chairman, Uche Secondus had called on Buhari to resign due to the alleged spate of corruption in his government.

Speaking on behalf of the Party at a press briefing on Friday, Secondus had accused the Buhari led government of supervising re-looting of the National treasury.

Secondus had said Buhari should do the honourable thing by resigning as an elder statesman.

He noted that the current investigation ongoing at the National Assembly shows that the government has no head.

However, while speaking through his spokesman, Garba Shehu, the president vowed not to throw in the towel.

In a statement he signed and forwarded to us, Shehu said Buhari was determined to continue his fight against corruption in Nigeria.

Shehu said the call by Secondus was an indication that Buhari should cover up fraud rather than probe such menace.

He said: “It a time when the whole world is unifying to confront a common enemy, Nigeria’s opposition party, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP has launched a whirlwind campaign promoting undemocratic values, the latest manifestation of which is the call for President Muhammadu Buhari’s resignation for allowing audits and investigation into several agencies of government, including the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.

“Based on the statement issued by the embattled chairman of the Party, Prince Uche Secondus, it is clear that they would have liked the President to not investigate but to cover things up: to not wake the sleeping lion as voiced by another of their leaders.”

“President Buhari will not resign. He is determined to continue the crusade against corruption, both legacy and recently unearthed cases, that are found to be shabbily handled, and in some cases unattended to by past administrations.

Shehu stressed that the opposition party can’t scare the government from probing the “grave allegations made against MDAs and their chiefs because failure to do so will amount to a historic betrayal of public trust.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Court jails secondary school student over threat to kill teacher

Published

on

A secondary school student, Segun Dosumu, is to spend three weeks in jail with hard labour for threatening to kill one of his teachers.

This is as an Abeokuta Magistrates’ Court found the 20-year-old student guilty of the charge preferred against him on Thursday.

Dosumu, a resident of Iboro area of Ogun State, was said to have pleaded guilty to the charge when it was read to him in court.

As a result, the Magistrate, Mr S. S. Sotayo, after reviewing the facts of the case presented before him by the Prosecutor, ASP Wale Diyaolu, convicted Dosumu, but with an option of N200,000 fine.

According to the Magisterate, all the evidences before the court had proven beyond any reasonable doubt that Dosumu was guilty of the crime as charged, even aside his admission of guilt.

The prosecutor, Diyaolu, had earlier informed the court that the convict committed the offence on Tuesday at Eyinni Comprehensive High School, Iboro Yewa North Local Government Area of Ogun State.

Diyaolu had disclosed that the SSS3 student threatened to kill or injure the teacher, identified as Mr Ismail Fadeyi, with a broken bottle.

The offence, Diyaolu maintained, contravened Section 86 of the Criminal Code, Laws of Ogun State, 2006.

Continue Reading

News

Nigeria diversifying from oil – Osinbajo

Published

on

Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo says Nigeria is now focusing on non-oil exports.

He said the zero-oil plan promoted by the Nigerian Export Promotion Council (NEPC), affirms the country as being on economic diversification path.

Osinbajo spoke on Thursday when he received NEPC delegation led by the outgoing Executive Director/CEO, Segun Awolowo.

The VP said the country is on the right path and hailed the attention to non-oil exports.

The Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) told policymakers to ensure that in the next few years, the zero-oil plan is achieved.

Osinbajo hailed Awolowo for his foresight and putting in place a plan that is well-structured and detailed.

“We are certainly getting away from the oil and gas era. We used to think that it will take a while, but today, the circumstances have changed.”

Osinbajo added that public investments from the European Union (EU) and multilateral oil and gas companies are fizzling out.

The VP noted that the Export Expansion Facility Programme (EEFP) is a natural progression for the zero-oil plan.

He advised stakeholders to brace up for the challenges ahead and ensure that the right things are done.

Continue Reading

News

Attack on Sen. Goje’s convoy: APC denies mass resignation of executives in Gombe

Published

on

The Gombe State chapter of All Progressives Congress (APC) on Thursday, dismissed a report alleging mass resignation of its ward executives in Yamaltu/Deba Local Government Area (LGA) of the State.

The APC State publicity secretary, Mr Moses Kyari disclosed this when he addressed newsmen in the State.

Kyari was reacting to a social media report indicating that over 80 percent of APC ward executives in Yamaltu/Deba LGA have resigned their positions in solidarity with Senator Danjuma Goje, whose convoy was allegedly blocked by political thugs and miscreants while on his way from the airport to the wedding venue of his granddaughter earlier this month.

According to him, the report was very dangerous and malicious.

Kyari said that the report alleging that all the executives in the eleven wards of Yamaltu/Deba LGA have resigned their positions in solidarity with Sen. Goje was not true.

He said, “This is not true, it’s a lie from the pit of hell and as you can see the people concerned have addressed a news conference.

“The people that were allegedly said to have resigned have come to debunk that and to tell the true story of what really transpired.

“Some of the people whose names appear on the list aren’t even in town; some of them are even sick and couldn’t go out, how did their names appear on the list.”

Kyari also described the report as the handiwork of enemies of APC in the State, adding that a committee would be set up to investigate the source of the story.

He added, “We shall take punitive actions by going to court to ensure that the people involved are brought to book.”

Continue Reading

Trending