Connect with us

Exclusive: Former PSG manager Tuchel looks to be heading to Stamford Bridge to replace the fired Lampard

Chelsea have sacked Frank Lampard less than 24 hours after the club’s FA Cup victory over Luton Town, with Thomas Tuchel primed to replace him.

As the news, exclusively first reported by Telegraph Sport, was digested by supporters, Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich took the unprecedented step of explaining his decision in the club’s statement confirming Lampard’s departure, something he has never felt the need to do before.

Abramovich said: “This was a very difficult decision for the club, not least because I have an excellent personal relationship with Frank and I have the utmost respect for him.

“He is a man of great integrity and has the highest of work ethics. However, under current circumstances we believe it is best to change managers.

“On behalf of everyone at the club, the board and personally, I would like to thank Frank for his work as head coach and wish him every success in the future. He is an important icon of this great club and his status here remains undiminished. He will always be warmly welcomed back at Stamford Bridge.”

Former technical director Michael Emenalo and director Marina Granovskaia have previously been left to comment on managerial departures and appointments, but Abramovich decided he needed to explain the sacking of Lampard and make it clear that he took responsibility for the change.

 

Lampard was informed of his fate on Monday morning and Chelsea are now expected to announce Tuchel as his full-time successor.

Chelsea’s statement said: “Chelsea Football Club have today parted company with head coach Frank Lampard.

“This has been a very difficult decision, and not one that the owner and the board have taken lightly.

“We are grateful to Frank for what he has achieved in his time as head coach of the club. However, recent results and performances have not met the club’s expectations, leaving the club mid-table without any clear path to sustained improvement.

“There can never be a good time to part ways with a club legend such as Frank, but after lengthy deliberation and consideration it was decided a change is needed now to give the club time to improve performances and results this season.”

He would have been sacked immediately after the Leicester City defeat, which was Chelsea’s fifth in eight Premier League games, had the club had an internal candidate to take caretaker charge.

But without a ready-made interim replacement in place, Chelsea had to go about finalising a successor for Lampard with Tuchel judged to be the best available man for the job.

Lampard remained confident that he could turn around recent performances and results, and had been heartened by Sunday’s FA Cup victory over Luton Town.

But Abramovich was worried that a top-four place was disappearing from sight and believed Chelsea were no nearer challenging Manchester City and Liverpool, which had been the target at the start of the season.

While Tuchel’s arrival is partly aimed at trying to bring the best out of two of Chelsea’s big summer signings – his German compatriots Timo Werner and Kai Havertz – Chelsea believe the entire squad is in need of a lift.

Werner missed a penalty in the win over Luton, despite performing better, while Havertz made a late appearance as a substitute.

Tuchel’s appointment will also be seen as somewhat of a risk, given Chelsea were warned off him during Antonio Conte’s reign because of his fall-outs with his former employers.

Chelsea are yet to confirm which members of Lampard’s backroom staff will depart with him, but assistant Jody Morris is expected to follow him out of the exit door.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports News

Chelsea confirm deal for 20-year-old striker

Published

on

Chelsea have confirmed a new long-term deal for 20-year-old striker, Armando Broja.

The new deal will see Broja remain at Chelsea until 2026.

Chelsea disclosed this in a statement via their website on Sunday.

The statement read, “Armando Broja has signed a new long-term contract at Chelsea FC that commits him to Stamford Bridge until at least the summer of 2026.

“The young striker, who will turn 20 in September, spent last season on loan in the Eredivisie with Vitesse Arnhem, where he made 34 appearances.”

Reacting, Broja said: “I’m really excited to be signing a new contract with Chelsea.

“Having come through the Academy here it was a special moment for me to make my first-team debut last year, before gaining further experience on loan at Vitesse last season.

“I want to build on these foundations and I’m really looking forward to progressing and making an impact.”

Continue Reading

Sports News

Saliba breaks silence after leaving Arsenal on loan to Marseille

Published

on

William Saliba has said he is joining “one of the great French clubs” in Marseille after sealing his latest loan spell away from Arsenal.

The 20-year-old was signed by the Gunners for £27m in 2019.

But Saliba is yet to make a single appearance for the Premier League club and is now beginning his third loan move away from north London.

He was immediately loaned back to Saint-Etienne after signing for Arsenal, before spending the second half of last season at Nice.

Saliba has now signed up for the 2021/2022 campaign with Marseille.

“I am very proud to join one of the best French clubs.

“I cannot wait to be on the Orange Vélodrome pitch. Where I am from, in Paris, lots of those close to me are for Marseille, I am proud to wear this shirt,” Saliba told Marseille’s official website.

Continue Reading

Sports News

England vs Italy: UEFA receives petitions to replay Euro 2020 final

Published

on

Some England fans have started a petition, asking that UEFA order a replay of the Euro 2020 final.

They feel the defeat to Italy on penalties was “unfair”, according to the Daily Mail.

Italy have been accused of playing “dirty”, after their captain Giorgio Chiellini pulled on Bukayo Saka’s collar, dragging him onto the pitch in the latter stages of the game.

While some fans have taken to social media to insist he deserved a red card for the move, he eventually got away with a yellow.

The refereeing decisions have been widely disputed since and a number of England fans have taken it upon themselves to start up petitions.

One petition, in its description, outlines: “Bukayo Saka was mistreated during the match between England and Italy as he was dragged down by his shirt by Giorgio Cheiellini and given a yellow card when it CLEARLY should’ve been a red card. I do strongly believe that the referee was biased and in favour of Italy.”

Another argues Chiellini should have been given a red card, and that a rematch should take place with a “non-biased referee”.

Currently, there are several petitions that exist, but they are struggling to gain any substantial traction.

Of the five petitions so far, one is approaching 1,500 signatures, while the others have meagre numbers.

Continue Reading

Trending