Connect with us

Sports News

Paul scholes off to a winning start

Published

on

Paul Scholes’ managerial debut got off to a winning start with a 4-1 victory over League Two strugglers Yeovil.
The former Manchester United midfielder was indebted to Merseysiders Jose Baxter and Callum Lang for scoring the first couple of goals to kick-start his career in the dugout.

Mohamed Maouche and Christopher Missilou completed the rout in the final two minutes after Bevis Mugabi had reduced the deficit.
Scholes had his issues with one particular Jose in the last few seasons, admitting he expected scrutiny from Mourinho after criticising his Old Trafford reign, but he will have been delighted with the man-of-the-match version he inherited – Baxter.

The new Latics boss, who plans to tap into contacts at his old club, handed a first start to on-loan United academy forward Zak Dearnley after he scored on debut at the weekend.
Oldham full-back Tom Hamer was injured in an aerial collision with Yeovil’s Alex Fisher in the opening 10 seconds.
Despite lengthy treatment Hamer was eventually replaced by Rob Hunt – a signal Scholes was exerting his authority as the defender had previously been banned from playing by owner Abdallah Lemsagam.
Lang, Gevaro Nepomuceno and Peter Clarke all wasted chances after the visitors’ Jake Gray hit the foot of a post in the 14th minute.

Baxter’s composure from 12 yards in the fifth minute of added time – his first goal in five months – provided the breakthrough with a low, curling finish after Nepomuceno and Johan Branger-Engone combined down the left.
When Lang headed in Nepomuceno’s cross six minutes after the break Scholes was high-fiving his backroom staff, although they were wringing their hands when Mugabi pulled one back from close range moments later.
The nerves were eased in the final two minutes, however, with Mouche and Missilou firing home from outside the box.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports News

Chelsea confirm deal for 20-year-old striker

Published

on

Chelsea have confirmed a new long-term deal for 20-year-old striker, Armando Broja.

The new deal will see Broja remain at Chelsea until 2026.

Chelsea disclosed this in a statement via their website on Sunday.

The statement read, “Armando Broja has signed a new long-term contract at Chelsea FC that commits him to Stamford Bridge until at least the summer of 2026.

“The young striker, who will turn 20 in September, spent last season on loan in the Eredivisie with Vitesse Arnhem, where he made 34 appearances.”

Reacting, Broja said: “I’m really excited to be signing a new contract with Chelsea.

“Having come through the Academy here it was a special moment for me to make my first-team debut last year, before gaining further experience on loan at Vitesse last season.

“I want to build on these foundations and I’m really looking forward to progressing and making an impact.”

Continue Reading

Sports News

Saliba breaks silence after leaving Arsenal on loan to Marseille

Published

on

William Saliba has said he is joining “one of the great French clubs” in Marseille after sealing his latest loan spell away from Arsenal.

The 20-year-old was signed by the Gunners for £27m in 2019.

But Saliba is yet to make a single appearance for the Premier League club and is now beginning his third loan move away from north London.

He was immediately loaned back to Saint-Etienne after signing for Arsenal, before spending the second half of last season at Nice.

Saliba has now signed up for the 2021/2022 campaign with Marseille.

“I am very proud to join one of the best French clubs.

“I cannot wait to be on the Orange Vélodrome pitch. Where I am from, in Paris, lots of those close to me are for Marseille, I am proud to wear this shirt,” Saliba told Marseille’s official website.

Continue Reading

Sports News

England vs Italy: UEFA receives petitions to replay Euro 2020 final

Published

on

Some England fans have started a petition, asking that UEFA order a replay of the Euro 2020 final.

They feel the defeat to Italy on penalties was “unfair”, according to the Daily Mail.

Italy have been accused of playing “dirty”, after their captain Giorgio Chiellini pulled on Bukayo Saka’s collar, dragging him onto the pitch in the latter stages of the game.

While some fans have taken to social media to insist he deserved a red card for the move, he eventually got away with a yellow.

The refereeing decisions have been widely disputed since and a number of England fans have taken it upon themselves to start up petitions.

One petition, in its description, outlines: “Bukayo Saka was mistreated during the match between England and Italy as he was dragged down by his shirt by Giorgio Cheiellini and given a yellow card when it CLEARLY should’ve been a red card. I do strongly believe that the referee was biased and in favour of Italy.”

Another argues Chiellini should have been given a red card, and that a rematch should take place with a “non-biased referee”.

Currently, there are several petitions that exist, but they are struggling to gain any substantial traction.

Of the five petitions so far, one is approaching 1,500 signatures, while the others have meagre numbers.

Continue Reading

Trending