Absence of President Muhammadu Buhari and Atiku Abubakar at the Presidential Debate on Saturday night.
The two major POLITICAL PARTY IN NIGERIA, PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES, President Muhammadu Buhari of the All Progressives Congress, APC, and Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, stayed away from yesterday’s presidential debate organized for five selected candidates to showcase themselves to the electorate.
In their absence, the trio of Oby Ezekwesili of Allied Congress Party of Nigeria, ACPN, Fela Durotoye of Alliance for New Nigeria, ANN, and Dr. Kingsley Moghalu of Young Progressive Party, YPP, took the centre stage at the debate organized by the Nigeria Election Debate Group, NEDG, in conjunction with the Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria, BON.
The debate, moderated by Mark Eddo, was staged at the Congress Hall of the Transcorp Hotel, Abuja.
He explained that he could not debate issues arising from Buhari’s policies in his (Buhari) absence. Speaking as he walked out, Atiku said: “I am walking out because I expected to come and debate with Mr. President. The President has been in office for the past three and a half years. He is not here to defend that record. So who am I going to debate with? If he is on his way, when he comes, I will come back. “I came back from the US to participate in this debate but the President is not here.”
Last night, that the Buhari Campaign wrote the NEDG on Buhari’s decision to opt out because the arrangement did not suit him. A statement by Buhari’s Campaign spokesman, Festus Keyamo, explaining the absence of the President, said he had taken up other formats to market himself. It also noted that Buhari’s time was overstretched by the activities of yesterday that saw him commission projects during a campaign visit to Niger State.
National Assembly can reorganize Nigeria, I believe in devolution of powers- Muhammadu Buhari
Buhari described reorganizing as a serious issue, adding that in whichever forms it comes be it true federalism or devolution of powers, it remains a constitutional matter.
The President, however, talked on devolving more power to the people.
Buhari said this when he accepted members of the Nigerian Inter-Religious Council (NIREC) led by Co-Chairmen, Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar and President of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Rev. Samson Supo Ayokunle, at the State House on Friday.
“On the contentious issue of restructuring or true federalism or devolution of powers, like you all know, this is a constitutional matter with which only the National Assembly can deal.
“I remain an unapologetic believer in devolving power to the people and that is why I signed the Executive Order granting autonomy to State Legislature and Judiciary,” Buhari said.
Buhari pointed out that autonomy to State Legislature and Judiciary met with some resistance at the state level, leading to a more than two months’ strike action that has cost the country so much.
Buhari said that he believes and hopes that the review of the constitution previously going on at the National Assembly would treat some of the agitating issues in the minds of our people.
June 12 protest is suspended by NANS
NANS president, Sunday Asefon, said this in a talk on Friday morning.
Recollect that NANS had earlier this month pronounced 12 of June,2021 a day of protest.
The talk which was titled, ‘NANS Suspends June 12 Protest Over Concerns About Safety Of Protesters And Fear Of Possible Hijack By Politicians – Comrade Sunday Asefon,’ partly read, “Having considered the current security realities and the danger to the lives of our members in case of possible hijack of the planned protest, I in consultation with all the structures of NANS, therefore, announce the suspension of our proposed protest for June 12.”
In addition, the suspension of the protest was relevant to avoid a clash of interest and clash with security agencies as a result of many other protests scheduled for the date, the protest was suspended for the welfare of students, adding that it doesn’t want to put the life of any of the students in danger.
I want my life back – Bobrisky cries out after plastic surgery
Controversial crossdresser, Idris Okuneye, who is more popular as Bobrisky, has cried out over the side effects of the cosmetic surgery he allegedly underwent recently.
The 28-year-old claimed he would be undergoing the procedure to help him have a more feminine body.
However, Bobrisky has now said he “wants his life back”, as he has been sleeping in one position for days.
According to him, “the pain is out of this world”.
He wrote on Snapchat: “I’m sorry I have been off here lately!!! I’m in pain… 360 lipo is damn painful. I want my life back. My stomach is so hurt. My back is gone. I can’t hold the (sic) no more.
“The worst of all is sleeping in one position all day…
“Thanks to my house girl (Rita) for always rubbing my back at night. I love you for supporting me with this journey. I thought I was dying. The pain is out of this world.”
Music11 months ago
Jay Famous – Forgiveness
News3 months ago
10 things you need to know today Monday 29/03/2021
Education11 months ago
WASSCE: Lagos private schools to resume August 3
News11 months ago
Diezani must face N17.6bn money laundering charges – Court
Music2 years ago
Hottest Gist11 months ago
30-year old fraudster, Oluokun bags 20-year jail term in Ibadan
News11 months ago
FIRS Mandates Landlords, Property Agents to Collect, Remit 6% Stamp Duty on Tenancy, Lease Agreements
News11 months ago
Corruption: I won’t resign – Buhari replies PDP